SPEC MIX colored mortar helped this beautiful church in College Station, TX stand out
PROJECT TITLE: St. Mary’s
LOCATION: College Station, TX
CONSTRUCTION MANAGER: Stewart Development and Construction
MASON CONTRACTOR: R W Pfeffer Masonry
DISTRIBUTOR: SPEC MIX
PRODUCTS USED: Portland Lime and Sand Colored Mortar SM100 and SM200
The home for Aggie Catholics. St. Mary’s Catholic Church traces its origins back to 1904 when Father Gleissner began offering mass to the men of A&M College. As the number of Catholic students continued to increase over the next few decades, it became clear that a more permanent structure would be needed to serve the needs of the A&M community. The forerunner to the present church, St. Mary’s Chapel, opened its doors in 1927. This Spanish Renaissance Revival chapel served the cadets at college until the completion of St. Mary’s Church in 1957. The new Colonial Style church with red brick exterior, green slate roof, white columns, and white pointed belfry replaced the small chapel that could no longer accommodate the sizeable community of Aggie Catholics. The church has a seating capacity for 550 and is the main church for Catholic students and Texas A&M University.