Present day Threewit-Cooper Cement Co. was founded in 1888 by Benjamin Franklin Threewit. In 1891 G.A Barrows joined the business and the name was changed to Barrows and Threewit. The two were both from the Midwest and wanted to be part of the westward expansion that was gripping the United States. The business specialized in sewer pipe, lime, cement, plaster, sand, and gravel. The original location of the business was at 14th and New Haven Street. The business made many moves in its early years. Those locations included 1431 20th St., 20th and Blake, and 1441 Wazee. The business had two horse and wagon teams to deliver material to their customers.