SETTING BED MORTAR
For Constructing Horizontal Surfaces with Natural and Manufactured Paving Units
GREAT COMPACTION. HIGH STRENGTH.
SPEC MIX Setting Bed Mortar can be used as a paving unit base for residential and commercial paving unit applications. It can be used for interior and exterior installations allowing light, medium or heavy traffic.
SPEC MIX Setting Bed Mortar is produced under strict manufacturing standards supported by complete quality control measures. A digital printout displaying the proper proportions per batch may be kept as a permanent record. Submittals are available upon request for certification.
• Specifically engineered as a thick, solid mortar bed for constructing horizontal surfaces with natural and manufactured paving units
• Can be used as a paving unit base for residential and commercial paving applications
• Can be used for interior and exterior installations allowing light, medium or heavy traffic
• Produced under strict manufacturing standards supported by complete quality control measures
|Setting Bed Estimated Yields (Approximate)|
|Bed Depth||80 lb (36.2 kg) bag||3,000 lb (1,360.7 kg) bag|
|1 in (2.5 cm)||8 ft² (0.74 m²)||300 ft² (28 m²)|
|2 in (5.1 cm)||4 ft² (0.37 m²)||150 ft² (14 m²)|
|3 in (7.6 cm)||2-2/3 ft² (0.25 m²)||100 ft² (9.3 m²)|
|4 in (10.2 cm)||2 ft² (0.19 m²)||75 ft² (6.9 m²)|
|The yields given above are approximate and depend on labor practices, site conditions and design of work. Yields include typical waste. Some areas such as FL, CA, OR, WA experience higher yields due to local materials and practices. Please contact your local representative for more specific yield information in your area.|
|Setting Bed Mortar ANSI A108.01-126.96.36.199|
|Extra Heavy / Heavy||Moderate||Residential|
|Thickness of Bed||2-½ in (63 mm) min;|
3-½ in (88 mm) max
|1-¾ in (44 mm) min;|
2-½ in (63 mm) max
|¾ in (19 mm) min;
1-¼ in (31 mm) max
|See ANSI A108.02-3.7||See ANSI A108.02-3.7||Expanded Metal Lath
(see ANSI A108.02-3.6)
|Suspend reinforcing wire|
in the mortar bed
|Suspend reinforcing wire|
in the mortar bed
|Fasten expanded metal
lath to substrate
SPEC MIX Setting Bed Mortar Installation/Application
SPEC MIX Setting Bed Mortar should be applied in accordance to ANSI 108 installation procedures and local building codes. SPEC MIX Setting Bed Mortar is to be mixed to a zero slump consistency (dry pack) for setting bed applications.
Over Concrete Slab:
Dampen and clean the concrete surface prior to application of cementitious bonding coat, making sure that the concrete slab is free of standing water. Before placing mortar bed, apply a thin, continuous coat of pure portland cement slurry on the concrete surface or dust a thin layer of dry portland cement on the concrete and wet it. Broom the pure portland cement slurry or the wetted portland cement dust to completely coat the concrete surface with a thin and uniform coating. Immediately apply dry pack consistency mortar bed over the pure cement coating. Firmly tamp and screed mortar bed. Mortar bed thickness shall be a nominal 1-¼ inches (32 mm).
Over Cleavage Membrane:
Place a cleavage membrane over the substructure, lapped at least 4 inches (100 mm) at joints, except when a waterproof membrane installed by others is already in place. Place setting bed mortar with wire reinforcing over the cleavage membrane. Lap reinforcing at least one full mesh and support so that reinforcing shall be suspended in the mortar bed. Reinforcing shall not butt against vertical surfaces. Place, tamp firmly and screed setting bed mortar. Mortar bed thickness shall conform to ANSI A108.01-188.8.131.52 (see chart) except for countertops and shower receptors (Follow ANSI A108.1A-2.3 requirements for shower receptors).
A sample of the proposed product will be provided by the manufacturer for architectural approval and testing, if required. Preparation of a sample panel with all materials and masonry systems employed in the final project is imperative. Retain the mock-up or field sample through the completion of the project.
Clean masonry only with a national proprietary cleaning agent (following the manufacturer’s instructions) or potable water. SPEC MIX products are custom packaged to the specification. They must be kept dry, covered and protected from weather and other damage.
Sizes and Equipment
SPEC MIX Setting Bed Mortar is available in 80 lb (36.2 kg) packages for easy hand loading or in 3,000 lb (1,360.7 kg) reusable bulk bags to be used with the various SPEC MIX silo systems. When using the silo system, once the bulk bags of mortar are delivered to the project site, the portable silo is loaded with a job site forklift and the product is dispensed into a mechanical batch mixer.
SPEC MIX Setting Bed Mortar Mixing Instructions
WEAR IMPERVIOUS GLOVES, such as nitrile.
1. Mixing is best accomplished by using a mechanical mixer to ensure optimal workability and performance.
2. Use clean, potable water; add enough water to create a zero-slump, dry pack consistency. Product should retain shape when compressed by hand.
3. Mixing times are four to five minutes when using a mechanical batch mixer and should be held consistent from batch to batch.
4. Maintain the same mixing procedures to maintain consistency throughout the project.
5. Hand mix Setting Bed Mortar only with written approval by the specifier who should outline procedures.
6. Use Setting Bed Mortar within 2.5 hours after initial mixing.
7. Retemper Setting Bed Mortar only when mixing water is lost due to evaporation.