A. G. Heins Company was incorporated in the State of Tennessee in December 1920 by its founder; Albert G. Heins, Sr. A.G Heins Sr., began his sales career on horseback for the Philip Carey Manufacturing Company and decided to open his business at the beginning of the “Roaring Twenties.” Through Mr. Heins’ leadership, the company survived the Great Depression of 1929 and was able to pay off all debts to the Hamilton National Bank of Knoxville.
When the country entered World War II, Albert G. Heins, Jr., son of the founder, proudly served in the U.S. Army. At the end of the war, A.G. Heins, Jr. returned to work at the company. Along with long time loyal employee, Ruth L. Love, the company prospered during the Baby Boomer years of the 50s, 60s, and 70s.
At the beginning of the 80s, A.G. Heins, Jr’s’ son Albert Gordon Heins III, a registered architect in the State of Tennessee, joined the family business. At one time in the early 80s, all three generations of the Heins family were involved in the operation of the business. Upon the passing of A.G. Heins, Sr. in 1984, A.G. Heins, Jr. served as president until his son, Gordon was promoted to president in 1991. Gordon and long- time friend and companion, Jon B. Williams, have guided the company into the 21st century.
In the mid 2000s, both of Gordon’s sons, Jacob and Alex, joined the business to extend the legacy of the company into its fourth generation. As in the early 80s, at one time in the 2000s, three generations of the Heins family worked in the business. Joining the company in 2012, Anna, daughter of Gordon and Becky Heins, continues the family legacy with four generations of family involvement.
After 95 years of earning the East Tennessee construction industry’s trust, A.G. Heins Company has undoubtedly earned its business motto – “Building materials since anyone can remember.”