ADHERED VENEER MORTAR (AVM)
Stone Mortar for Installation of Thin Veneer Masonry Units
Standard (VM-01) and Color (VM-05)
SUPERIOR ADHESION. HIGHLY DURABLE
SPEC MIX® Adhered Veneer Mortar (AVM) is a specially formulated stone veneer mortar for use in the installation of adhered masonry veneer. It contains an optimal blend of dry cementitious materials, masonry sand, and performance enhancing admixtures specifically designed to provide superior bond for manufactured adhered veneer units to base surfaces. It is formulated as a cohesive material with consistent workability, high water retention and excellent bond strength. The final wall system will produce a non-load bearing, aesthetically pleasing exterior veneer or interior finish on concrete or masonry walls, stud walls or metal buildings.
SPEC MIX AVM meets the requirements of ASTM C 1714 and ASTM C 270 for Type S and N mortar including TMS 402/602 shear bond standards. SPEC MIX AVM has been rigorously tested to reduce the probability of unit “pop-offs” and contractor call-backs to repair adhered veneer failures common with standard mortars. SPEC MIX AVM is available in standard and custom colors.
In addition to custom mix designs that are available for specific applications or properties, the SPEC MIX Adhered Veneer Mortar is designed to be compatible with the characteristics of most all specified adhered masonry veneer units. It is acceptable for all types of construction: concrete, masonry, wood frame or steel studs, with submittals available upon request.
Choose the Right Product with the Adhered Veneer Mortar Product Selection Guide
SPEC MIX Adhered Veneer Mortar Test Results: Shear Bond and Workability Study
• AVM exceeds code requirements for ASTM C482 shear bond by 200 percent (151 psi in 28 days).
• Exceeds normal workability and water retention properties of standard mortar.
SPEC MIX® Adhered Veneer Mortar is available in 80 lb. (36.3 kg.) packages for easy hand loading or in 3,000 lb. (1,360.8 kg.) reusable bulk bags to be used with the various SPEC MIX® silo systems.
- Optimal blend of dry cementitious materials, masonry sand, and performance enhancing admixtures
- Formulated as a cohesive material with consistent workability, high water retention and excellent bond strength
- Meets requirements of ASTM C 270, ASTM C 1714, and CSA A179 for Type S mortar including TMS 402/602 shear strength requirements
|SPEC MIX Adhered Veneer Mortar 28 Day Test Results|
|ASTM C 482 Bond Strength||TMS 402/602|
|Manufactured Thin Stone||151 PSI (1 MPa)||50 PSI (0.3 MPa)|
|Natural Thin Stone||127 PSI (0.8 MPa)||50 PSI (0.3 MPa)|
|SPEC MIX Adhered Veneer Mortar Estimated Yields|
|80 lb Bag||3,000 lb Bag|
|Scratch Coat||20 to 23 ft² (1.8 to 2.1 m²)||750 to 860 ft² (69.6 to 79.8 m²)|
|Bonding Coat||24 to 26 ft² (2.2 to 2.4 m²)||900 to 975 ft² (83.6 to 90.5 m²)|
|Joint Grout||38 to 40 ft² (3.5 to 3.7 m²)||1,425 to 1,500 ft² (132.3 to 139.3 m²)|
|Full Installation||13 to 15 ft² (1.2 to 1.3 m²)||485 to 560 ft² (45 to 52 m²)|
|Note: The yields given above are approximate and depend on labor practices, site conditions and design of work. Yields include typical waste. Please contact your local representative for more specific yield information in your area.|
Installation/Application (How to Install Adhered Veneer Mortar)
SPEC MIX Adhered Veneer Mortar should be installed in accordance with the provision of the local building codes. It should also be installed in accordance with the instructions and requirements provided by the producer of the manufactured stone or brick. Prior to installation, all surfaces should be cleaned before applying mortar. A water-resistant barrier should be applied to surfaces other than concrete masonry.
Using a trowel, apply SPEC MIX Adhered Veneer Mortar ½ inch to ¾ inch (13 mm to 19 mm) thick to surface making sure to embed the mortar into the wire lath. Before the mortar begins to harden, use a notched trowel to “scratch” the mortar surface. Coat the back of each unit with mortar and press it firmly into place until the excess material extrudes from the sides of the unit. Once all units are in place, fill each joint with Adhered Veneer Mortar by using a grout bag, trowel and a tuckpointing tool or gun. Alternatively, the units can be applied to a scratch coat that has been cured. Mortar shall be used and placed in final position within 2.5 hours after initial mixing or discarded at that time. Whenever possible, do not retemper colored SPEC MIX Adhered Veneer Mortar by adding additional water; retempering may affect color consistency.
SPEC MIX products must be kept dry, covered and protected from weather and other damage.
Sizes and Equipment
SPEC MIX Adhered Veneer Mortar is available in 80 lb (36.2 kg) packages for easy hand loading or in 3,000 lb (1,360.7 kg) reusable bulk bags to be used with the various SPEC MIX silo systems. When using the silo system, once the bulk bags of mortar are delivered to the project site, the portable silo is loaded with a jobsite forklift and the product is dispensed into a mechanical batch mixer.
Adhered Veneer Mortar Mixing Instructions
WEAR IMPERVIOUS GLOVES, such as nitrile.
1. Mixing is best accomplished by using a mechanical mixer to ensure optimal workability and performance.
2. Use clean, potable water; add the amount of water consistent with optimum workability which provides adequate water to satisfy the initial rate of absorption of the masonry units.
3. Mixing times are four to five minutes when using an mechanical batch mixer and should be held consistent from batch to batch.
4. Maintain the same mixing procedures to maintain consistency throughout the project.
5. Tool mortar joints when the surface is thumbprint hard. Keep tooling times consistent.
6. Hand mix mortar only with written approval by the specifier who should outline procedures.
7. Use mortar within 2.5 hours after initial mixing.
8. Retemper mortar only when mixing water is lost due to evaporation.
9. Whenever possible, do not retemper colored SPEC MIX masonry mortars by adding additional water; retempering may affect color consistency.